I often get asked which of my characters, books, scenes, are my favorite, and I usually answer: "The one I'm writing."
And that's true.
However, overall I think my favorite character of mine is Kate Browdy. Not only because she's strong and has the heart of gold, but because she's been with me the longest. So much so that I feel like she's a real person who has grown up with me. I mean, I started writing her when I was 12.
Likewise, her book, "Love Always, Kate", also has a special place in my heart. The first book I ever wrote was the first part of her story.
As for favorite scenes, these are the ones that come to mind:
* Mike and Carrie's first meeting (The Spirit)
* The Weeping Willow scene (The Spirit)
* The lake scene (The Spirit)
* Mike at the hospital after his accident (The Body)
* The ally with Carrie, Reid, and Carver (The Body)
* Carrie and Mandy at the game (The Body)
* On the highway with Carrie and Lucas (The Body)
* Victoria's Secret (The Body)
* The final fight scene (The Body)
* Kate and Damian's first "date" (Love Always, Kate)
* Damian shaves off Kate's hair (Love Always, Kate)
* The Christmas date (Love Always, Kate)
* The golf scene (Love Always, Kate)
* The last four chapters (Love Always, Kate)
* The first scene of Damian in Dr. Lowell's office (Eight Days)
* Damian's big fight with his dad (Eight Days)
* Damian and Ellie in the cafeteria (Eight Days)
* Damian reminiscing about Liam whilst with Kate (Eight Days)
* The last chapter
What are yours?
As many of you know, I love creating playlists for my books. They're fun and inspiring. I usually start out with 30 songs that might fit, then as I write, I narrow them down to what works for a scene, what gives me the added "umph," and what I hear in the background as the settings change.
Sometimes my playlists have themes; sometimes they don't. Sometimes I look for a certain sound; sometimes I don't. Two great examples of this are my playlists for "Love Always, Kate" and "The Body." There's quite a bit of country music on the one for Kate, and the band "Red" shows up often on the playlist for "The Body." "Red" also shows up a lot on the one for "The Soul."
For added fun, I pick out one song from the list that becomes the book's "theme song." You know, like what's played at the end of a movie when the credits are rolling. Here are the "theme songs" for each book:
The Spirit: "Never Alone" by Barlow Girl (Acoustic version)
The Body: "Shadows" by Red
Love Always, Kate: "I Won't Let Go" by Rascal Flatts
Eight Days: "First Time" by Lifehouse
All of my playlists can be found on my website under "Fun Stuff" then "Playlists." Here.
Now, I'd like to present the playlist for Love Always, Damian. Another group of great, great songs.
And the "theme song?" (Imagine ending credits)
Musings, news, and other random stuff